DIY Wooden Engraved Sign

Don't forget to stop by and Like my Facebook Page and Follow me on Twitter!
So while my workshop is being occupied and worked on I found an old project I had started but never finished {SURPRISE, SURPRISE!}. I had traced our last name onto a board and using a Dremel was carving out pieces of the wood.
I've completed several woodcuts and prints before but in the effort to save my hand LOTS of pain, I thought the Dremel would be easier.
"Etchings of Efflorescence"
Birch Wood & Stain ~ 24 x 16
2009
While using the Dremel wasn't completely pain free {I had some hand cramps}, it was definitely easier and faster
Here is the board completely etched. Now comes the fun part!
I grabbed a roller and selected some paints.
With a thin layer of paint on the roller I ran it across the board. The paint only lands on the wood I did not carve out.
I could have left it this way but I wanted the letters to pop a little more.
I add green {hubby's favorite color} to the letters and darkened the background slightly.
I also painted a glossy polyurethane on the letters only to give them a  little extra pop.
All done! I started this project as a trail, I have a much larger one coming soon!

Thanks for stopping by!
 photo 7ce22a63-74a3-4dab-a0ca-1fc832cb3312_zps0b858cf7.jpg

Check out who I've linked up with this week by going to my Linky Party Page!

***While I'm thrilled to share my step-by-step directions, the good and the bad, these are intended for your personal use. I'm always happy to hear and see what my bloggers have been working on. BUT a lot of work goes into these creations and while I have no issues sharing so you are able to create the work for your precious homes please understand that selling an exact duplication of my designs is highly frowned upon. :( Please always be considerate of another artists work. Thank you!***

Comments

  1. This sign looks fantastic!
    May I ask what bit you used in the Dremel? We just purchased a Dremel but, so far, have been unable to find many tips on engraving letters into wood. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by DIY Vintage Chic! I appreciate your time and comments. If you have any direct comments please let me know. Feel free to comment, use my contact page or Facebook. See ya soon!

Popular Posts