DIY Mobile Outdoor Bar

Don't forget to stop by and Like my Facebook Page and Follow me on Twitter!
Fall is finally here! Which means it's the perfect time for sitting around outdoor fire pits and sipping on some beverages with friends. Which is why I wanted to wrap this project up ASAP. I thought it would be a great housewarming gift for my brother and his family. They love entertaining. My bro specifically loves playing bartender and coming up with new drinks for us to try. And they LOVE being outside on their new deck. So I designed this Mobile Outdoor Bar Cart with a top that folds down for easier storage.

I started with a frame, creating two of them for the top and base of the bar. I wanted it to be sturdy since it would be on wheels and have some weight to it.
Added on the sides making sure the top and bottom frame were level. {VERY important}
I cut the boards down to size for the slats on the sides. For even spacing I used scrap 1x4s.
ViolĂ ! I repeated on the other side but held off on adding the slats for the back of the bar.
First I put in the boards to support the shelves.
Next I added the cleats.

And finally added the shelf boards
Now it was time to add the slats on the back of the bar.
I purchased the locking casters so the bar can roll but easily locked down once in place. They're a little more expensive but definitely necessary.
Starting to come together!
Next up, adding the top on the workstation side. Using 1x4 cedar boards I turned one on it's side to create a backsplash and then cut the other boards to size. I was pretty proud of this cut here. I had to cute a notch out and did it with a jig saw!
The rest of the boards were easy to cut and put into place.
So, how did I create a bar top that folds down? Well, I attached shelf supports to a scrap piece of wood that hinges in and out.
I built the top part separately and then attached to hinges on either end of the bar.
Swing the supports out and the bar top pops up!

To really polish the piece off I added trim around all the edges of the bar tops.
She's ready for some staining!


I used teak oil on the top {food safe} and for the other areas used a cedar stain.
And finally the mobile outdoor bar cart with a fold down top was completed.
I added in some handles on either side. Dual purpose: handles for steering and also a towel holder.
The hubby should take up a 2nd job as a model, right? He's a big goof ball!
Thanks for stopping by!
 photo 7ce22a63-74a3-4dab-a0ca-1fc832cb3312_zps0b858cf7.jpg

Check out who I've linked up with this week by going to my Linky Party Page!

***While I'm thrilled to share my step-by-step directions, the good and the bad, these are intended for your personal use. I'm always happy to hear and see what my bloggers have been working on. BUT a lot of work goes into these creations and while I have no issues sharing so you are able to create the work for your precious homes please understand that selling an exact duplication of my designs is highly frowned upon. :( Please always be considerate of another artists work. Thank you!***

Comments

  1. Do you have any dimensions on the cuts? Would love to build this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by DIY Vintage Chic! I appreciate your time and comments. If you have any direct comments please let me know. Feel free to comment, use my contact page or Facebook. See ya soon!

Popular Posts