Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket  photo Link2_zps1e1b9b33.jpg

Sunday, September 21, 2014

DIY Affordable Pipe and Wood Bakers Rack

Don't forget to stop by and Like my Facebook Page and Follow me on Twitter!

Lessons learned: Measure twice. Cut once. So that's the general rule, right? I'm adding in some new steps. Measure three times. Go to the store, buy materials needed, measure again. Cut once.... hopefully that saves some frustration. {Good news, I now have a place for my Monogram Wooden Placemats, see them on the top shelf! Also stay tuned for some affordable DIY containers found in these photos!}
So if it wasn't obvious from the above paragraph, this project was... a little challenging. Therefore, no step-by-step photos. I apologize. BUT due to my errors I'll most likely be making another Bakers Rack so stay tuned for more instructions.
It started by me seeing our trash cans sitting in this little nook and a ton of empty space above them. We need more space so wouldn't some shelves look great? Of course they would. And how can I affordably frustrate myself over the course of the week? By working with PVC pipe obviously.  What I can show are the materials needed:
{4} 1" x 12" x 3' boards
{5} ¾" x 5' PVC Pipe
{2} Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze
{1} Spray Primer ~ preferably grey or a dark color
{12} ¾" PVC Tee
{4} Split Flange 1 inch
{4} Floor & Ceiling Plate 1¾ inch
1⅛ inch drill bit {I made the mistake of using 1 inch}
Fine Grit Sandpaper
Rubber Mallet
Ok, here are a few tricky parts:
1) My ¾ inch pipe would barely {if at all} fit through the 1 inch hole I drilled through my boards. Now add on a layer of primer and a layer or two of spray paint and I was looking at an issue of sliding the poles through without scratching my nice paint job. I'm hoping a 1⅛ inch drill bit will be better but possibly a 1¼ will be needed.
2) Also, I REALLY had to to hammer the PVC pieces together after a few layers of primer and spray paint. It wasn't too much of a problem after I started getting frustration. It's a good stress reliever to beat on things. ;)
3) The 1 inch Split Flange are used on the bottom board. I would recommend drilling all the way through the bottom board and using the flange to tighten the pole in place. The Floor/Ceiling Plates are used on the bottom of the top board. The large size plate is needed here because the Tees are larger in size. 
Again, I hope to have more instructions and pictures up soon once I redo this piece. :) Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to explain

Thanks for stopping by!
 photo 7ce22a63-74a3-4dab-a0ca-1fc832cb3312_zps0b858cf7.jpg

Check out who I've linked up with this week by going to my Linky Party Page!

***While I'm thrilled to share my step-by-step directions, the good and the bad, these are intended for your personal use. I'm always happy to hear and see what my bloggers have been working on. BUT a lot of work goes into these creations and while I have no issues sharing so you are able to create the work for your precious homes please understand that selling an exact duplication of my designs is highly frowned upon. :( Please always be considerate of another artists work. Thank you!***

1 comment:

  1. Aw dang it sucks that it was so difficult!!!
    It looks good though.


Thanks for stopping by DIY Vintage Chic! I appreciate your time and comments. If you have any direct comments please let me know. Feel free to comment, use my contact page or Facebook. See ya soon!

***I love to display my designs and directions. And I love for everyone to share but please do so with integrity. All writing, photography and illustration on DIY Vintage Chic by Becca Diestelkamp-Woodham is a copyright of ©DIY Vintage Chic 2011-2013 unless indicated otherwise. Photographs (ONLY one) may be used if provided with a link to this website. DO NOT REPOST PARTS OF OR ALL OF MY VERBIAGE VERBATIM IN YOUR BLOG, PLEASE JUST PROVIDE A LINK TO MY SITE. All posts must have a credit of my full blog name and link at the TOP of the post and the bottom. ***