The Mom Blanket

Don't forget to stop by and Like my Facebook Page and Follow me on Twitter!

As some of you may know I lost my mom a couple of months ago. Still hard to write it... even harder to believe, she's not here with us anymore. She lost her fight against cancer after almost four and a half years. But this post isn't about all the emotions, it's about what she left behind and the number of projects to come.... 

Last month we went through some of her things, specifically her craft baskets, bins, boxes, and buckets. You name it, she had crafts stored away in it. {Kind of made me rethink my storage.} I mostly brought home yarn and crochet or knitting supplies. I came across one bag full of the same skeins of yarn and a couple of pieces half started. Unfortunately, there was no pattern in the bag so I had no idea how to finish the pieces or project.

But with a dozen or more skeins of yarn what better to make than a huge blanket. What will know be known as, My Mom Blanket. Something big and warm, perfect for a cold, winter night. So with a heavy heart, I unraveled her pieces and started to work away on a simple crochet blanket. 

About halfway through "the inspector" I live with thought it would a good idea to examine my work. She often feels the need to check things out and gave her blessing for me to continue.

And about a third of the way through, a certain knucklehead I also live with decided to make my crochet hook her new chew toy. {Project on hold while I wait to buy a new hook.}


Don't fall for the cute and innocent face. 

Eventually, I made it through all 11 skeins. It was a relaxing project I worked on when we had a free evening to watch a show or movie. The hardest part, I had unraveled her project into balls of yarn. And as I used the balls of yarn I would catch whiffs of my mom's perfume. I wish the scent would stay forever but I know it won't. :(

The blanket's final measurements came to be 88" x 60". Here's a quick shot of it on our Cali King bed. Looks like a good place for an afternoon nap with a couple of my furry snuggle bugs. 

Dog tested and approved.

Many more "Mom" projects to come. Stay tuned. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Becca

***While I'm thrilled to share my step-by-step directions, the good and the bad, these are intended for your personal use. I'm always happy to hear and see what my bloggers have been working on. BUT a lot of work goes into these creations and while I have no issues sharing so you are able to create the work for your precious homes please understand that selling an exact duplication of my designs is highly frowned upon. :( Please always be considerate of another artist's work. Thank you!***



Comments

Popular Posts